After deciding that masking fluid was the best option for creating the restriction I was after, these few weeks were more about experimenting with how I can manipulate this medium and testing out new shapes and forms. I am still learning the best new techniques and ways to create the pieces I am after but working outside and using the wind as my assistant can prove to be tricky! Each piece I create is unique to the last therefore I can never replicate any of my pieces which I think is amazing. The wind chooses where the drops of ink will go and how they mix together on the board although this made me begin thinking about the key aspect of my work – randomness.

Something random is not completely random as there is almost always some element of control. For example, with my work, me as the artist chooses which colours to use and the shape of the canvas etc. Linking into the concept behind my work, which is proving more and more important as I developed my project is that no one is completely ‘free’, actions are influenced and mostly premeditated. As the artists I have a form of control right from the beginning, so using the weather balances out this control allowed for the question to be asked – is anything completely random?

Whilst learning how to use alcohol inks, my ‘make do’ set up was proving quite difficult to move the ink around the board in a way that mixed together properly. I therefore created a spinning stand so that I could rest the board on top and manually spin it so the wind and the hairdryer could create a more fluid piece.

From my crit back in week 24, the idea of focusing on how the eye sees the landscape was brought up which I loved the idea of therefore tested out what different shapes canvases could achieve. Unfortunately, I only ordered one oval shaped canvas but wasn’t sure on the dimensions so it ended up being wider than I would have hoped. However, I can tell that using this type of canvas fits my alcohol ink pieces much better than a rectangle piece for example. I feel it has more space to move and was extremely happy with the outcome. I have attached below more of the pieces I have created as well as a couple of close -ups which I feel are necessary to see the ink:

As you can see in image 1, I used a singular line of masking fluid which I feel is the most successful experiment out of them all as it cuts through the fluidity of ink, contrasting the two, yet it doesn’t distract from the main part – the ink. With image 2, I used one long intertwining line as a symbol of stress and confusion, however, feel the outcome is just messy and rushed so may continue adapting the way I approach using the masking fluid. Finally, the third image is a combination of common shapes piled precariously on top of one another in order to create tension and anxiety. I don’t mind this piece but feel it is too obvious and would much rather focus on lines than shapes. The colours I have used would be earther, but I am still learning how to mix the inks together so still testing out combinations!

In the next few weeks, I am going to order some more narrow oval shaped boards as depicted below to refine how I use the masking fluid in relation to my canvas. I will need to make sure my dimensions are correct so have created this example: